Blackbeard

Journal of James Alexander

October 14, 1717
I have been a shipmate on Hornigold's ship for about 8 months now. 
A fierce lookin’ fella called Edward Teach began as an apprentice today. I sketched him to the right. Bunking next to me but I don’t mind as he’s a quick study. We are heading to Delaware to meet another ship and sail around the Chesapeake Bay area to plunder trade and fishing ships coming into the area. Either way I have a mast to repair before we face winter. Almost lights out so I’ll be heading to bed now.

November 7, 1717
            We met up with Stede Bonny and crew. Solid to work with and we have more man power. Old Blackbeard is quite the character and Honrigold has taken to him as well. Tomorrow the crew votes on the destination of our new expedition. I am hoping we head south. Tis winter up here is much too windy and cold for me. I am not sure I can take another snow on deck.
Plus this ship is due to be careened. We could find a small, private cove down in the Caribbean where we can run the boat ashore. As far as carpentry work goes this on is easier for me because the task is so big everyone has to help me. We have to get the ship up on the blocks and secure holds around the masts. Once she’s out of the water we can go to scraping off the sides to get rid of the barnacles, seaweed, and whatever other sea muck has joined the journey over the past few months. I don’t doubt there are a few rotting planks I’ll have to tend to as well. Oil er’ up and she’ll be the fasted craft on the water. Chase down a man-o- war in no time!
Perhaps if will be a small island with cattle or rabbit or fruit. We are in fair shape with supplies right now, but I am still ready for some fresh food.
December 3, 1717
            Blackbeard was a good leader in yesterday’s battle. We happened upon La Concorde up Martinique in the east Caribbean. We fought and captured rather easily. 120 men strong we took the weak crew. Honrigold is giving Thatch the ship I think mainly because Captain H got a kick out of how Blackbeard put lit hemp wick in his beard. Im sure to the French looked like the devil himself.
            That crazy look in his eye might be contagious because I think I may join him aboard that new ship, Queen Anne’s Revenge. He’s asked me to be the carpenter in his crew. Hornigold and Stede and going to meander back up the north coast, but I’d rather stay in the sun.
March 13, 1717

            Boat finally got cleaned and slicked up (she's a beaut), so now isn’t the best time for a bloody keelhaul. It has been a busy few months. We have hit Antiqua, Puerto Rico, and Hispanola. Next up is Honduras. I knew Blackbeard was a wild man on fire. That ferocity translates to money in my pocket. 










Source:
Klein, Christopher. “How Blackbeard Lost His Head in a Bloody, Sword-Swinging Battle.” History.com, A&E Television Networks, 20 Nov. 2018, www.history.com/news/blackbeard-pirate-killed.
“16 Tales of Historic Castaways That Make Robinson Crusoe Pale in Comparison.” HistoryCollection.co, 5 Oct. 2018, historycollection.co/16-tales-of-historic-castaways-that-make-robinson-crusoe-pale-in-comparison/6/.
Cordingly, David. Under The Black Flag. Harcourt Brace & Co., 1995.
Stockton, Frank R. Buccaneers and Pirates. Dover Publications, 2007.
Moore, David. “Queen Anne's Revenge  Conservation Lab.” QAR Project,
www.qaronline.org/reports/blackbeard-pirate-historical-background-and-beaufort-inlet-shipwrecks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christopher Columbus Hero or Villain?

Set sail with Cailico Jack